The Christmas season is upon us once again and so ensues the hectic shopping experience and the dash to find the perfect presents for friends and family. I will admit that I am not the best at coming up with gift ideas so I sometimes shamelessly ask my friends and family what they want; but not this year! I tried to brainstorm early and compiled a list of inexpensive gift ideas for your friends, family and any white elephant gift exchange you find yourself in.
For gift inspiration for friends I thought of things I would like to have for myself then got on Pinterest and clicked on the ‘Gifts’ drop down menu at the top of the page and searched for gifts in my price range. A mere 3 hours later and I had this holiday gift guide:
- Envelope clutch–The perfect holiday bag that will transition into New Years. Plus, the clutch can often double as an iPad or e-reader case. Trendy yet practical. This one from H&M is only $12.95.
- Monogrammed bangle–What is more personal than monogrammed jewelry? This bangle bracelet from Etsy is simple and classic and will be a sure hit with friends. Etsy has a ton of other great personalized jewelry items too. This bracelet is $32.
- Instagram magnets–Now your favorite photos can be displayed outside of your Instagram account. Sticky gram will print and send you the photos of your choosing, but hurry! The last day for Christmas shipping is December 9th. These magnets are $14.99 for 9.
- Style coffee table books–It is never too early to start an impressive collection of coffee table books. So if you have stylish friends with a penchant for high fashion then maybe a memoir like Grace Coddington’s is the perfect gift. It’s $20 at Barnes & Noble. Other honorable mentions are: Gospel According to Coco Chanel and The Little Black Book of Style.
- Unique iPhone case–Society 6 is a website that offers a huge variety of unique cases and skins not found in stores. You can also pick out stationary, canvases and throw pillows to match the case you choose. This case would make a great gift for a girlfriend and its $35.
Now for white elephant gift ideas. Since there is typically a strict budget in place for these exchanges I suggest finding inexpensive and humorous stocking stuffers or making your own gift for people to fight over in the exchange. Here are some ideas:
- Holiday sock-covered wine–Buy a cheap pair of socks, preferably holiday themed, and use them to cover a bottle of wine. Wrap one around the bottle and use the other to tie around the bottle neck.
- Manicure set–Fill a mason jar with nail polish, cotton balls, a small bottle of nail polish remover and a nail file. Let’s hope a woman gets this in the exchange.
- Hot chocolate kit–Fill a mason jar with hot chocolate mix, marshmallows and peppermint sticks for one lucky person to enjoy. Garnish the jar with a ribbon and you have a nice, inexpensive treat.
- Chalkboard paint coffee mug–Buy a small bottle of chalkboard paint and a plain white coffee mug and paint the bottom portion of the mug so whoever gets it can personalize it with their own designs. Fill the mug with candy and watch people fight over this unique creation.
- Gloves filled with winter essentials–Buy a pair of gloves or mittens from the dollar store and fill with various items to get someone through the winter season like, lip balm, lotion, hand sanitizer and tissues. Practical yet creative!
For the above Christmas gift ideas and more DIY projects visit my “Holi-daze” Pinterest board to get your creative juices flowing. Do you have an inexpensive holiday gift guide of your own? What DIY projects are you planning to tackle this season? Share in the comments.