If you are a procrastinator by nature, like myself, then you might still be juggling a few costume ideas in your head. Halloween is kind of a big deal at my college. We have a reputation for a fun, albeit out of control, block party that usually results in many arrests and stories plastered all over the news. But hey, the people watching is great and the costumes are truly one of a kind.
This year my brainstorming session for costume ideas was limited to blonde, sitcom and movie stars from the nineties, as my friends pointed out were my only logical choices since I am also blonde and remind them of a young Melissa Joan-Hart. I settled to go as a more recent movie star from a movie us girls all know and love; Mean Girls. That’s right, I am going as the devilish high school “Plastic” that everyone loves to hate; Regina George. The outfit is simple: pleated skirt, tank with holes strategically cut over the chest area, a pink cardigan, an “R” initial necklace, and a burn book that doubles as a clutch for good measure. The costume cost me a total of $6. Not bad! So it got me thinking about other cute costume ideas that girls could create mostly from items they already have lying around their closet.
And they are:
1. Rosie the Riveter–The iconic war propaganda poster is now a cheap and easy costume. Just wear a denim shirt, red lipstick, red bandana, and practice flexing your arm.
2. The Orbit Girl–Easy! Wear all white, find a teal scarf and practice showing those pearly whites of yours. Maybe distribute Orbit gum as a cute gimmick.
3. Flo, the Progressive lady–Just grab a cheap apron, throw on some red lipstick, make a name tag, and you are ready to go.
4. Cher from ‘Clueless’–The classic nineties school girl look of tall stockings, a short skirt and perfectly coiffed hair. Be sure to practice your, “As if!”
5. The Morton Salt girl–Got a yellow dress or coat and an umbrella? There ya go. Carry a can of Morton Salt as a purse by poking holes in the can and stringing some yarn through it.
6. A ‘Pretty Little Liar’ or a ‘Gossip Girl’–This is easy, just dress cute and assume the role of their character for the night.
7. Carrie Bradshaw from Sex & the City–The pink tank top and tutu outfit, of course. It’s iconic.
8. An Olympian–Just throw on your sportswear of choice and make a gold medal and a head wreath. Winning!
9. Any of the Spice Girls–I’m sure you have a crop top or two lying around. Add shiny leggings and an arm cuff and you got what you want, what you really really want.
10. Rachel, Monica, or Phoebe from Friends–Overalls for Rachel, fat suit for Monica, and oversized clothes and lots of rings on your fingers for Phoebe. This would be a great group costume.
11. One of your friends–Just raid your roommate’s closet and go as them. After all, imitation is the highest form of flattery.
12. Honey Boo Boo–Simply wear a white tank (dirtied with ‘sketti’ stains) and a tiara. “You better redneck-ognize!” Carrying a stuffed pig would complete the look.
13. Karen from Mean Girls–God, Karen is so stupid! But, my fellow Plastic would be a great costume. Just put a backwards ‘K’ on your chest in rhinestones and rock a pair of mouse ears. If anyone is confused just say, “I’m a mouse, duh!”
14. Your social media page–Wear a white t-shirt and write on the front to make it look like your Facebook or Twitter profile. Tape on a profile picture, add some recent posts and comments. Carry around a sharpie so people can “write on your wall.”
I hope these ideas help. If any of you have other cheap and easy costume ideas, leave them in the comments. Have a safe and fun Halloween!
On a side note, here is a preview of my Regina George costume. It really is “so fetch!”